Thursday, April 22, 2010

NSS 2010 NFL Draft Coverage




Here is the first official NSS Time-Log for the 2010 NFL Draft . This is a running diary of what’s on my mind, while reporting picks and trades as they progress. Let’s stoke her up …

To Continue...

4:29 pm: My seat is filled … ESPN just rolled their Draft Opening featuring Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen, two of the funniest looking quarterbacks I’ve ever seen. And it’s time for the 2010 NFL Draft to officially start.

4:31 pm: Mel Kiper’s hair doesn’t look up to par. He’s developing a minor bald spot above his right eyebrow … Of all nights, come on Mel!

4:32 pm: Roger Goodell addresses the crowd, in a casual manner, even though this is the man with an iron fist towards suspending NFL stars.

4:33 pm: The St. Louis Rams are OFFICIALLY on the clock, which really doesn’t make sense for ANY freaking draft. The Rams have been on the clock for three months now, and we’d all be surprised if they don’t choose Sam Bradford.

4:36 pm: Heeyyyy Sam Bradford’s on the phone … smiling … I wonder who he’s talking to … “Hello, this is Sam Bradford … Who? …. Oh hey man … yeah, I’m about to be the first pick … Ok … rad, bro”

4:38 pm: “With the first pick in the 2010 NFL draft the St. Louis Rams pick … Sam Bradford, Quarterback from the University of Oklahoma” … At least the Seahawks have a QB advantage on at least one team in the NFC West.

4:40 pm: The Detroit Lions with the second pick totally remind me of the Sonics when they were handed Kevin Durant on a platter from the Blazers in 2007. The Lions are getting an amazing Defender in Ndamukung Suh, and could be one of the best I’ve ever seen. Not to mention he’s got the face and attitude a franchise can market the hell out of.

4:44 pm: “With the second pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions selected … Ndamukong Suh … Defensive tackle out of the University of Nebraska” … for a millisecond I was afraid they would take Gerald McCoy from Oklahoma … silly me.

4:46 pm: First draftee interview from Suzy Kolber with ‘Kong Suh … he sounds a little unmotivated, but then again I wouldn’t be too stoked if the Lions drafted me either … Keep your eyes on the paycheck Mr. Suh, that’ll turn that fake smile into an upside-down frown … err, something like that.

4:48 pm: I don’t know why I didn’t figure this out years ago, but whenever the camera focuses in on a player who’s on the phone … chances are THAT’S the player the next team is going to draft … Gerald McCoy’s moment is up next since he’s smiling like a schoolgirl with his cell phone on camera. Way to ruin the suspense ESPN.

4:51 pm: I’m gonna take a break until the Seahawks are on the clock … For the record, I’ve had multiple friends proclaim that they’ll jump off the Aurora Bridge if they select Jimmy Clausen …

4:52 pm: There may be no crying in baseball, but we’ve got the first set of tears in this year’s draft … Kudos, Gerald McCoy. At least you made up for it with that gigantic hug with Roger Goodell. Just be careful, he might suspend you for exceeding the five-second hug buffer that might be detrimental to the NFL.

4:56 pm: Things’ll get interesting after the Redskins pick at number 4 … This is the first point in the draft where no one is unanimously sure who Washington will pick … Perfect time for a trade.

4:59 pm: Sam Bradford, Gerald McCoy, and now Trent Williams? … I know Bradford separated his shoulder last year, but how did Oklahoma lose so many games with three of the top four picks in the draft???

5:00 pm: Eric Berry is still on the board … don’t screw this up for us, KC.

5:04 pm: the Coors Light commercial with Mike Ditka is pure class … but I’m also a Bears fan outside of the Seahawks … sooooo.

5:05 pm: Damn! Eric Berry’s on the phone!… damndamndamndamndamn! … piss me off even more, Kansas City. I dare you.

5:07 pm: .... Eric Berry is a Safety picked in the top 5. That’s how good he is.

5:08 pm: Good news is: your Seattle Seahawks are officially on the clock … At this moment, I’m finding it hard to care because we just got shafted.

5:11 pm: Adam “douchebag” Schefter makes his first (and hopefully only appearance), stating this is a “perfect situation” for the Seattle Seahawks because the Redskins picked Trent Williams and now they will pick Russell Okung from OK State to help out our Offensive line woes … I hate him, but he’s got a point.

5:15 pm: “With the sixth pick of the 2010 NFL Draft … [Your] Seattle Seahawks select … Russell Okung … Offensive Tackle from Oklahoma State” … Touche, Adam Schefter.

5:16 pm: Russel Okung is easily the best dressed player in the draft thus far … what a fresh suit.

5:19 pm: I’ve got zero interest in the draft at this point, only to make sure C.J. Spiller is still available at number 14 for the ‘hawks to swoop him up … no pun intended. Did I just make a funny? … wocka wocka wocka.

5:20 pm: Tim Tebow makes his first appearance on camera from his home in Florida … He and I have the same iPhone. I feel that much closer to Jesus now because of that …

5:25 pm: the Cleveland Mike Holmgrens pick CB Joe Haden from Florida … I gotta be honest, I’ve never heard of him.

5:26 pm: How freaking sweet would it be if senile Al Davis and the Raiders pick Jimmy Clausen at number 8? … I mean, come on. All those ridiculous Raiders fan rooting for Jimmy Clausen?

5:31 pm: F*** me … Buffalo Bills select RB C.J. Spiller at number 9…. They already have Marshawn Lynch who’s been rumored to be move in a trade in recent weeks. I really hope Pete and John Schneider have a trick up their sleeves and bring one of those two here in Seattle.

5:35 pm: The Seahawks are still a few picks away from number 14 … I have a feeling they’ll pick Brian Bulaga from Iowa if he’s still available. If not, they’ll trade it to somebody in the second round to pick up USC stud Taylor Mays.

5:38pm: Uhhhh … the Jaguars just selected Tyson Alualu. Who? … I mean, he’s got long hair, and he looks Samoan, so he’s most likely going to make it to the Pro Bowl one day … But at number 10? The Jags would’ve been better off getting Tim Tebow just to sell tickets.

5:40 pm: FIRST TRADE OF THE EVENING: The 49ers swap picks with Denver to move up a whopping two spots … I wonder who was actually worth the two spots to draft … giving up their fourth round pick as a result.

5:43 pm: OT Anthony Davis from Rutgers … there’s your answer.

5:46 pm: Another trade just occurred … San Diego earns Miami’s 12th overall pick. Boomer predicts running back Ryan Matthews from Fresno State. I can’t look at Chris Berman the same way after his classic off-air meltdown Youtube video … “no one’s ever worked on TV here before?!”

5:52 pm: Damn it, there’s Adam Schefter again … Mute.

5:56 pm: The Seahawks are on the clock again for their second 1st round pick. The Eagles (traded from Denver … again) just selected Brandon Graham from Michigan. Which means Pete Carroll is ready to draft Brian Bulaga from Iowa …

6:05 pm: “With the 14th pick of the 2010 NFL Draft … [YOUR] Seattle Seahawks select …Earl Thomas … Defensive Back out of Texas”

6:06 pm: Let me tell you personally as a Huge UT fan … Earl Thomas is a BEAST. 8 INTs last year in the Big 12, speed like none other … And he can be molded into a safety, a corner, even a small pass-rusher … I’m VERY pleased with this pick … I just hope he doesn’t get traded by the end of the weekend.

6:13 pm: I receive a text from one of my best friends: “I don’t think the Hawks could’ve done better” … Given the circumstances: I agree.

I’m going to end the time log right here, because the rest of the first round is of no interest to the Seahawks, barring some unexpected trade to occur. As a ‘Hawks fan, you have to be pleased with the picks made thus far. We’ve solidified our left-tackle of the future in Russ Okung, and we draft a potential Pro-Bowl D-Back in Earl Thomas, whom I’m personally stoked to see develop in under the hands of our new coaching staff. Barring any unforeseen injuries, expect both of these prospects on the field at Qwest starting for the Seahawks in the fall.

Reach Jacob Kehle at nextseasonsports@gmail.com